Friday, March 7, 2008

Bye-bye Binkie

For those of you who know my son, a shocking title for this blog. . . Here's what happened. Wednesday Isaac decided not to take a nap. We could hear him through the monitor talking and playing. At one point he came to the top of the stairs with his two binkies (he is only allowed one) saying, "Wook, I got two binkies, I found my sheep binkie by my bed!" I told him if he wasn't going to take a nap he needed to throw his binkies on his bed. Isaac had other ideas. "I throw away my binkies," looking at the trash can at the bottom of the stairs. Erin and I were all for it, so into the trash they went.

Now some of you know we attemped this several months ago with hour long screaming fits at nap time, bed time, and in the middle of the night when we finally gave in and gave him a binkie he "missed" when throwing the others away. This time we were more prepared. At bedtime he said he would go get his binkies out of the trash. After trying to convince him otherwise and stopping him from digging through the trashcan, Erin removed the binkies but announced we needed to wash them.

As he was washing them, I got out the scissors and cut off the end of one of them. When we gave it to Isaac, you can imagine his reaction. Total and complete meltdown! "It boke, my binkie boke! Daddy boke my binkie! " (I explained to Isaac that he throwing them away broke them, not daddy) This went on and on through storeytime and prayers. Once in bed his body realized that he hadn't taken a nap that day, and he actually fell asleep pretty quick. However, he was up at 11:00, 2:00, and one other time I didn't look at the clock. Each time he woke up crying for his binkie, but each time was awake for less time. In fact, Erin didn't even hear him the last time.

So how was nap and bedtime on Thursday you ask? It did take him a lot longer to fall asleep each time, but there were no tears and I didn't hear a peep out of him until 8:00 this morning! I'm so proud of him, now if he would just give up his diapers . . .

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

He is well on his way to big-boy statis!!
Ang

Stephanie said...

Awesome! It's funny how children are with binkies. As soon as I stopped nursing Hayley, she gave it up cold turkey. Very strange!

Andrea said...

I think it ends up being more of an issue for us than the kids! They are really much more adaptable than we give them credit for. Good job, Isaac!!!

Danna Ramsey said...

When I cut Sophie's paci, she asked me to blow on it; because that always made her food better, why not her paci!

Rachel said...

Way to go Isaac!