Thursday, April 10, 2008

Pizza Hut break through

I think I have mentioned before Kalista's huge pickiness when it comes to eating. It is something we have fought and struggled with for 4 years now. There are about 10 things that she eats fairly well and we always make sure she eats a fruit at lunch and dinner (either applesauce or banana -- the only selections she finds acceptable from the fruit/veggie food group). To me one of the weirdest things she won't eat is bread. At all. This of course leaves out sandwiches, french toast, and many kinds of pizza because the crust is too thick.

Up to two weeks ago the only kind of pizza she would eat is Tombstone. At the annual Camp Ne-o-tez dinner I was told she ate a piece of Pappa John's cheese pizza. I was somewhat shocked, but knew she was really hungry by the time the pizza had arrived. Then last night I was feeling under the weather with allergies and what not and the kids had Book-it coupons for free personal pan pizzas at Pizza Hut. I asked Erin if we could just go there for dinner since I didn't feel like cooking. Of course he was all for it and both kids agreed.

Kalista was all excited about using her special coupon. When the pizza arrived we didn't say anything, but just watched to see what would happen (knowing we had applesauce in the car-though Kalista didn't know this). She looked at it, picked it up, made several faces, and then took a small nibble. When all was said and done she ate one piece of her personal pan pizza, and would have eaten more, but we would have been late for church. Yeah for Kalista! An even bigger shocker is that Isaac only ate one bite of his! (He is usually my big eater, but is suffering from allergies also!)

Trying "new" foods is going to become very important in the coming months as the kids will start a new day care in the fall where I am not allowed to pack their lunch. This will be a huge change and adjustment for Kalista. But each week I seem to see very small baby steps. I guess that's all I can ask for. . .

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I came accross your blog today off a Neotez site. we have not met.. I don't think.. but I just thought I would send an encouragement your way. I have a VERY picky eater and he went to a day care that did not let me pack his lunch. He ate so well at day care. they "made" him try everything (not force but at least try a bite) I was so proud of him. he is still a picky eater but at least we can get him to try a bite or two of new things and we write down on our bulletin board tried but didn't like or tried and liked. Good luck.

Andrea said...

Send her my way for a couple of weeks and I'll take care of it! I know you are aware of what it took to get Emma to finally eat anything besides fruit and veggies :) It certainly was difficult, but well worth it! The older they get the harder they fall!!!!

Rachel said...

I feel the same way about Madison many days. In fact she used to not like pizza period. She has come so far in the past few years with what she is willing to try. She will be seven in Aug and at least now she will try everything once. That is all I require of her and she is willing to do that. Most of the time she loves it and will eat more, but occasionally she will not like it. My parents use to make us take how many bites we were in age and I didn't like that. We had to sit at the table until we did that and I am not for that route. As long as they give it a fair shot I am good. Every time I make it they have to try it b/c taste buds change and she might find out one day she really likes it. Hurray for Kalista and for trying pizza from Pizza Hut! Lord willing, it will be downhill from here.

Rachel said...

I tagged you!